Pan-Aadhar linking last date March 31, 2023. If failed, you may have to face these consequences.
If you don’t link Aadhaar and PAN within March 31st 2023, you may have to face the following consequences:
1.PAN will become inoperative
If an individual PAN cardholder does not link PAN to Aadhaar within the March 31st , his/her PAN will be made inoperative. Once PAN is inoperative, the PAN cardholder will not be possible to furnish, intimate, or quote the number wherever it is necessary. This may result in:
- Higher tax rate charged for IT tax purposes
- Higher TDS deduction
- Income tax return filing will not be possible, which can result in interest, penalty and even prosecution in some cases for not furnishing particulars of income generated
- Penalty for not quoting PAN during certain financial transactions
2.PAN-Aadhaar interchangeability is not feasible
If Aadhaar is linked to an individual’s PAN, the IT act permits the interchangeability of both. This implies an individual can quote either Aadhaar or PAN when required. However, if not linked, the interchangeability is not possible.
In addition, since PAN will become inoperative in case an individual fails to link to Aadhaar, PAN cardholder (individual) Cannot quote Pan in lieu of Aadhar or vice versa.
3.Penalty U/S 234H
- In case an individual doesn’t link Aadhaar to PAN card by the March 31st 2023, he/she will be liable for charges of up to Rs. 1,000 while linking of PAN with Aadhaar.
- A penalty of Rs. 10,000 will be charged for non-filing of returns of income.